Friday, August 1, 2008

PC RPGs vs. Console RPGs

As some of you may know lately I've been playing Morrowind for the last month off and on. Now it's a fun game and I'm enjoying it and I'm planning on finishing it. But I just can't help shake the feeling that it's a console port. The simple interface just seems lacking in so many ways and the game just feels "easy".
Too easy.
I guess what I'm saying is I like the lore and the story but I don't like the interface and the way my character interacts with the world around him.
And I'll add that the graphics feel dated. I have some texture mods that help. (something you console gamers don't have. hehe) It detracts from my playing experience sometimes.
So why do I bring this up? Because last night I spent 3 hours playing Icewind Dale 2. I fell in love last night. I love the feel and the way the game looks. It plays great and has depth, and it has a graphics style that's stylized and looks good even though it's aged.
Two points I wanna make here about PC RPGs that I like.
1. Isometric graphics: I love how this looks on my screen. It's an art style that doesn't age, doesn't suck up resources, allows me to see the game world easily, and let's me see all the bad guys in combat. I know some people who aren't exited about Diablo 3 because they don't like the isometric style, but I'm glad that they took that route. I would rather play a game with artistic style then with "realistic" graphics. (Which is why I'm dying for the new Prince of Persia game)
2. Having a party: I like the old-school games that let me make 6 people that I get to play as. It's just something about being able to have all the different classes available and the pure joy of having more then one character to deck out with bling.
So I'll be spending my time playing Icewind Dale 2. I'll come back to Morrowind because I want t finish but it just didn't compete with the fun I had with ID2.
Keep on gaming people!

No comments: